Monday, April 20, 2015

WD 45 3 Point Hitch




 

As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.

I have mentioned that I was working on a 3 point hitch assembly for a WD 45 Allis Chalmers, and I thought I would place the work here, as I do tend to forget how absolutely stupid all of you are. Most of you will have no idea what a 3 point or WD is, which is fine.

To explain Allis Chalmers is an orange colored tractor manufactured in the United States. In order to lift heavy machinery which it pulls on being hooked up to the tractor, an easy way is to use a 3 point hitch which uses hydraulics instead of your back.

The WD is a tractor in a series which began with an A, B, C, WC, WD and then the WD 45 which is 45 horsepower. These tractors with the Farmall M, are what built America after World War II.

Allis Chalmers made lift or rocker arms for their tractors, like Henry Ford did with his Ford series. The AC though just had snap couplers for this, and all of that is obsolete and expensive. Just like one can find a cheap 3 point for around 400 dollars or online for 800 dollars plus shipping in other sites.
That is a great deal of money for a pile of iron and is why most people either try to make their own hodgepodge or do without and hurt their backs.

I have very little experience with Allis Chalmers, but in my world that is of no matter, as you have to become one. The Holy Ghost assists me a great deal in knowledge and understanding. I will not go into details in the Farmall International had a 2 point, as that is Greek to most of you. I will state the reality of those that will do search engine results in looking for an Allis Chalmers WD 3 point hitch, that I assembled this one for just over 200 dollars and that included shipping. Even that price should appeal to someone who is a richtard or knows nothing of math.

I place the links below on what was ordered. I can not assist on the top assembly, except to provide the one which I found online for 30 dollars, which is not what I have. I had some old couplers for an Allis Chalmers rear mounted cultivator, and simply put this on, with bushings to make sure it slips when the rocker arms are moving, and bolted it together, with the welded on burrs to attach the top mount arm to.

These parts are Category or Cat I, meaning not for extremely heavy things, and that is the point in this, as I am not going to make this geezer tractor break into pieces lifting things that a modern tractor would be called on for. What this is, is a tractor for gardening and utility work, which is what a WD or WD 45 is best for, like the Ford 9 N which also has a 3 point system.

So I could put on a rototiller, a brush hog, a digger like the one I built, or any other bunty things in the 8 to 15 foot range of implements and this will do the work which is required.

I saw a tractor in Ohio with a 100 series loader on it for 4500 dollars, so that is expensive, but they can be looked at for 2800 to 3200 without the loader. A loader lifts things and it makes your muscles so grateful you are not a slave in the cotton patch any longer.

Here is the list




LIST

Double HH Lift Arm
Length: 34" overall
Blain # 028354 | Mfr # 24198

Double HH Lift Arm Leveling Assembly
Length: 19-1/4"
Blain # 028360 | Mfr # 24182


Double HH Category 0 Seven Hole Drawbar
Length: 24-1/2"
Blain # 471131 | Mfr # 22718

Double HH Category 1 Forged Lift Arm Pin
Length: 5-1/2” overall
Blain # 028368 | Mfr # 21226

Double HH Category 1 Top Link
Length: 16" body
Blain # 028352 | Mfr # 22510

Double HH Manufacturing Category 0 Top Link Pin
Length: 6"
Blain # 471065 | Mfr # 21250 



Understand in this, that you are still going to have to nigger rig things in this, meaning you will require two bolts with burrs to attach the lifter arms to the drawbar assembly, and you will need 2 bolts or pins to attach the leveling arms to the rocker arms, plus an additional pin for the top link arm to attach to whatever machinery you are hooking up to.

This though is the simplest way I have found and the cheapest, without having to cut metal bars and weld things to overdone. One post I read stated the person did their 3 point for 90 dollars. This one with 20 dollars shipping which is fantastic for this heavy of metal, was just over 200 dollars. For 100 dollars, I can deal with not having to cut metal or weld it, and just use a wrench to bolt things into place.

The top mount I did weld, but that is because I did not want the 30 dollar one found online or the 130 dollar one which I did like on Ebay. I need a vertical mount like the expensive one, so I built it, like the link assembly I had to build for the digger. Sometimes you have to be a blacksmith, but if you can get buy with just buying parts, then you can get buy with it and put it together yourself so it will serve from blowing snow to whatever else you intend to do.

After being Inspired by God in all of this, I honestly do not know why someone else has not arrived at this, as most of these tractors are all just hitches and people are miserable with them. I intend with this one to be miserable no longer. 

I think that is enough of this, as I will have the pictures that if you carefully observe where things are attached to, that even a mass of ignorance can figure this out. The thing is, by putting a 200 dollar pile of metal on a WD you will increase the value by 1000 dollars, like building a deck on a house increases it's value.

I leave it at that.

PS: As an additional note, I wrote this before I actually built the hitch, so it was in theory. The photos are the result and the reality is this cost around 220 dollars, and a quote I received for this 3 point was 450 dollars with shipping.

What I wanted to add was the top mount bracket, I made from an AC cultivator attachment, which fits on the rocker arm main post. It has bushings in it, so that it will slide when the hitch is lifted up and put down, so it does not break the tractor casing which is close on these WD 45's.
I...wrote more but the NSA ate it all

agtG