Friday, December 19, 2014

cukes in a pot




As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.

This is an update my children in the experiment I was forced into in exile, with the results of growing things on a deck in high heat, humidity and unpleasantness.

I started off with a gallon pot which I put into planter, which contained one Kuri squash and one Armenian cucumber. The squash was spiritually attacked, and the first fruit was not pollinated, but I did get the second one done. It produced a small softball size squash and then gave up the ghost.
It had several attempts on the bud ends, but they yellowed. Simply could not water enough to make this variety produce.

The Armenian, I pollinated by God's Grace two fruit which did set on. There was not enough root room to keep others on and they self aborted. I picked one and got seed which surprised me, and was good enough to eat. The other I was saving for seed, I picked as the squash died, and the plant started to grow again, in setting on two more cukes.
It was very hot though, and even with watering four times a day, growth was not that robust in the melons, but the vines are still flowering.
I think these Armenians which people do not write enough about, are a dependable "cuke" for fresh eating. I have been putting apple cider vinegar, some sugar, pepper and celery seed on them for fridge pickles and they are lasting until the quart and a half sherbet container is eaten.

Thing is with these Armenians is you wait too long like cucumbers, they get soft, and in their case, they get this squash flavor in being tangy. TL likes it, but I prefer flavorless cucumbers.

It was possible though to grow some cukes in the Armenians if one does not have a garden or access to ground. They do not go weed wild in growth either.

I find the apples seedlings with fertilizer will grow continuously and robustly, in heat or cold, in plastic 16 ounce or larger containers, providing they are watered enough.

Sugar Maples are like weeds, in just watering they grow constantly.

The Slippery Elms I found, grow well, but not of the vigor of the maples.

The oaks I have........well even if a fast growing variety, they are alive and not growing after one leaf spurt. It is possible though to keep them growing.

Black Mulberries....they grow ok, but nothing like feet in a few months. I fertilized one and almost killed it....is like the Linden variety.......think it is a basswood I jerked out of the ground is in this heat trying to decide about living and dying in too much watering. I will hold back and see now things straighten out with that.

If I needed trees for a lot or a property, I honestly would look for curb trees growing the cracks. People are so stupid now in being needed to be told things, but if you are in an area where you know the people or people will not care, a screwdrive stuck in the soil without making the crack bigger will pop a tree out which you can put in a planter immediately and have a tree.
I am surprise the green nuts are not advocating a Lame Cherry policy of cities mandating their parks departments to try and save most of these trees for other plantings. State agriculture forestry services could literally obtain thousands of trees for rural plantings, by simply gathering them in.

Safety sake, you can just pick up the seeds as I have, and sprout them yourselves.

Oh I have what turned out to be two cottonwoods which I found growing in a crack by the car. They too now are growing well......not as robust as the maples, but they will find a home at the brier patch the Lord Willing.

I was watching Tomatoe Gal, the neighbor, and I do not think she has tomatoes, but basil growing. The German Frau who keeps watch here, gave me some basil the other day, and the stuff grows well in pots on concrete in the heat. I just do not know how Tomatoe Gal can eat that much basil as it is like a salad.....I plan on trying it for a herb container garden next season.

It seems to me though that these Armenians if you keep them watered, fed and picked, they produce enough to eat in being more weed like.

I see it is about time to phone Mom, but the reason I post things on these plants specifically, is so you will have something that will probably grow and you can eat. It is one thing for someone in Eden to post pictures of all they can grow, and it is another thing in some cold or scorching patch to be disappointed in. Most people live in places where life sucks.

I honestly believe that what I have done would work in Arizona blasting heat, providing it was only morning sun exposure and not concrete bake oven....and it should work in New England cool as the pots would collect sun heat.....but it would be longer due to the cooler temperatures.

Yes the tomatoes in 7 plants have  about 25 tomatoes on them........they are planters, and they tomatoes are smaller in Roma.......and yes I have now several with blossom end rot, as it is impossible to water enough in this heat to keep a constant supply of moisture to the plants which is what causes end rot.
See you can do everything right, and things still suck. I can though look at this as a blessing in perhaps the plants not having end rot, might be the seeds to keep.........as these Roma's are auditioning as San Marzano's in some of the reverting of these hybrids.

Thankfully the hibiscus only had 2 of those nasty green worms I jarred up to kill them, which were eating holes in the flowers. Must be a once a season moth that has no repeats, unlike those cabbage worms.

Oh and the Asian Lily that TL got is still green in the pot with watering......and yond Coneflower is now defunct, but should be good for transplanting this fall.

Yeah time to check bread rising and call Mom.

agtG